Superfood of the Week: LeeksIngredients | Dr. Nishant Rao | November 9, 2009 at 8:00 am
A hot bowl of leek soup on a chilly autumn day is a great way to warm the belly. Like most of nature’s edible goodies, this week’s superfood is loaded with nutrients that nourish your body including vitamin C, manganese, iron, folate and vitamin B6. Leeks are a good source of fiber, too.
Leeks come from the same family of vegetables as onions and garlic, the Allium family and just like onions and garlic, leeks help prevent heart disease and reduce the risk for certain cancers.
Other amazing qualities of the super leek
- Lowers LDL and increases HDL cholesterol reducing atherosclerosis and risk for heart disease.
- Lowers high blood pressure reducing the risk for heart attack and stroke.
- Reduces the risk of prostate and colon cancer.
- Contains a flavonoid called kaempferol which has been shown to reduce the risk of ovarian cancer.
Some recipes that make the most of this mild and slightly sweet vegetable
- Elana’s thyme salmon with leek coulis (gluten free)
- Caramelized leek soup (gluten free)
- Roast pork loin with shiitake and leek compote (gluten free)
Dr. Nishant Rao is a co-founder of WellWire.com. He is a well-traveled naturopathic doctor and new father, practicing an integrative approach to create wellness in and around Los Angeles. Become a patient or discover his practice.